Friday, May 3, 2013

Happy Birthday

story and illustrations 
by Sabrina Kao

Being 16 embarrasses me for I do not know where on this planet I belong to. No one, no place accepts me, or you can say, my age. 

My name is Anna. I am just an ordinary girl. If one day we officially meet, you won't even be able to remember me. I have a sister, Jane. She’s what makes me shine. We have been best friends for like forever; I can't think of anything I haven't told her or anything I don't know about her. Today is our birthday. We aren't twins actually, even though we do pretty much look alike. Coincidentally, our dear mother gave birth to her two daughters on the same day but two years apart. 


Birthdays have always been the most important day every year for us. We'll invite all of our friends to our annual parties. As we grow up, our birthday themes change, though not necessarily more "mature." Speaking of this, I can't help saying that I have the best sister in the world. Although she's two years older than me, she always lets me have my way. I feel we are celebrating the same age. I remember when I was 11 and she was 13, she dressed up like a princess simply because of my "Disney Princesses" theme. It was not until I turned 13 that I realized how childish it was to dress up like that in front of everyone. This year, we decided to let Jane be the boss. I am really looking forward to the party.


It's eight in the morning and I'm getting dressed in the bathroom. When I look at myself in the mirror, it feels quite amazing to be 16, though it's a rather awkward age. I'm no longer a child, but I'm not an adult either since I can't drink yet, not even champagne. Surprisingly, Jane left a note on my bed when I was in the bathroom. "Put this on when you come downstairs. I think it'll look absolutely gorgeous on you, sis." It is a beautiful blue full dress. It takes much effort to put it on, but like Jane said, it does look stunning. I just wonder if it's too formal for the party. Well, it's Jane's year; I'll just do as I am told.

Walking down to the yard, I don't feel at ease with so many formally dressed people around me. To my surprise, Jane is standing in the middle of the yard, talking to her friends from the cheerleading squad and the hot guys from the football team. She looks like the queen, and all the guests are like bees surrounding her. Fantastic as she seems, she’s not my sister, not the one I know. Beverage this year is neither juice nor Coke, but red wine and champagne. Upon a closer look, I realize every girl Jane invites is one head taller than me with their high heels on. They look ridiculous with those chain-like accessories that make them walk like they are all crippled and need a hand from the guys. It's really hard to look for my friends with these giants blocking my view, so I have to push through the crowds. Finally, I see them, all standing there looking hopeless. They stare furiously at me, leaving me breathless. "Didn't you say we don't need to dress up? Now we look like stupid brats!" "Didn't you say we can drink and eat whatever we want here, but where's my Coke? There's nothing but alcohol here. You know that we can't drink yet, don't you?" Their questions hit me like incessant bullets. "You're such a liar, Anna. Did you do this to us on purpose? Since you put on such a pretty dress, you must have known what would be coming up!" "Listen, Anna, we'll never come to your birthday party or even talk to you again!" Instead of wishing me a happy birthday, my best friends walk out of my house in wrath. God! This sucks! Jane had better give a good explanation. There's no need for me to look for her, for she's on the stage with her friend ready to make a toast.


I know this girl—she'’s Celia, the new student in Jane's school. Now they go out together every day, but Jane never tells me what they are up to. Wait, so does this mean she has been hiding something from me?
Here comes Celia's speech, "Dear friends, today is our lovely Jane's birthday. Let's all give our best wishes. I remember when I first saw this girl, I found her beauty buried under the hilarious outfits, which was really a pity. After I talked to her, I found out it was all because of her little sister, Anna. She doesn't care about her looks. She was like her friends you guys saw earlier, kids, you know. Poor Jane didn't want to upset her sister, so she sacrificed her looks. But now, as you see, she's totally different. Dear Jane, I'm so happy for you on this most important day in your life. The day you turn 18 is the day you become an adult. You're no longer the ugly Duckling. About your crush on Dan, I can now announce that he likes you, too. Congratulations to you two, my friends. I bet this is the best birthday present ever. You are made for each other. Happy Birthday!"
When I hear these words, I’m stunned with my mouth wide open. I can't even blink or move, my eyes burning with fire. I can feel tears dropping down on my cheeks like waterfalls. How can Jane betray me so easily and forget all the promises she made just like that?

I can't take my eyes off you. I look so carefully at you, even the acnes on your chin. I realize you have not only put on the disgusting thick makeup, but also a mask that I can never see through. A total stranger, this is what I can say about you now. 

I walk up to you because I can't hide what's on my mind anymore. “How can you be so ridiculous? Why did you turn yourself into a vampire? Are you too into the Twilight Saga? You're out of your mind, Jane! How can you fall in love with someone without telling me! Who the hell is Dan?" I think I am the only one fuming with anger, but when you slap me in the face, I know, I'm totally wrong. 



You run, and I follow, with the cold wind blowing our messed-up hair. You take us to the park where we used to spend every weekend. When have we stopped coming here? Maybe that's the time when we began to drift apart. But when was it exactly? There wasn't a sign, or was I just too stupid to notice? You look up to the sky and say, "I'm sorry." I shake my head, tears rolling down my face even though I try to stop them with all strength in me. “I didn't mean to keep all these from you. I think I am really old enough for the makeup stuff and high heels. And I didn't mean not to tell your friends that the party would be like that; it was Celia's idea. I really am sorry, Anna." Her sincere apology heals my wound as if by magic. I thought I would never forgive you back at the party but I hear myself say, “I know, I'm sorry too for wanting you to be the same as me, it just made me feel safer that way." Your tears glitter like starlight with the sunset shining through. You take off your high heels saying, "Those really hurt and I can't breathe in this dress!" And you grin like you always did. Have I told you that I really like your smiles and dimples? We sit in the grass, looking at the kites the kids fly, watching the river flow down the hills and listen to the trees whisper. It is an awful beginning of 16, but we both know, it's the day we'll remember for the rest of our lives. It's the day we both grow up, a lot.
                                                                            
                                                                            Happy birthday, to you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment