Friday, May 3, 2013

Blessings in Disguise

story & illustrations by Lillian Lee


I could never forget the facial expressions of my parents at that time. Sparkling tears rolled in their eyes and dazzling smiles hung on their faces. They looked at me with so much love and pride as if I’d discovered America. Somehow I had a bad feeling—it was always the omen of a storm.



    After school, I walked into my parents’ room as usual. As I opened the door, I could feel delightful fairies dancing in the sweet air. Peaceful music flowed from the CD player. My mom sat in the armchair with my dad next to her. Mom asked me to sit in her lap while my dad hugged both of us for nearly thirty seconds. It was pleasant though I had no clue what this was all about. Just when everyone was still relishing our newly-found family warmth, unimaginable words slipped out of my father’s mouth and hit me like thunder…“You are going to have a baby sister!’’ my dad said joyfully as tears immediately poured down my face and I screamed like a lunatic. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. Seized by a fit of rage, I vowed to myself that I would do everything to stop her from taking away what belonged to me. 


    I’d been the only daughter, the princess, for nearly 11 years! I didn’t want to share my parents’ love with anyone! Moreover, I couldn’t help feeling jealousy run up my spine when I saw my parents’ cheerful eyes. I was afraid the meat-ball-like baby would deprive me of my toys, my family’s love … and EVERYTHING! When my parents saw my reaction, the smiles on their faces disappeared, and the fairies were chased away by black demons. I was sorry to erase their smiles, but I couldn’t help myself. Afterwards, I was so heartbroken that I ran into my bedroom and cried for nearly three hours. Everything happened too quickly and my beautiful world collapsed within seconds.


While I hid myself away from Mom and Dad, strange ideas crossed my mind: I even thought of packing up and escaping from the house where there wouldn’t be any happiness left for me because of the unknown new family member. On the other hand, I chided myself for being such a wimp. I told myself that I was ready for a big battle, and the only enemy was my baby sister.


Nothing melted my determination to give my parents the silent treatment, not even when my dad went to China and left Mom in my care. One night after the shower, I was in such a hurry to watch my favorite TV show that I didn’t dry the bathroom floor. While I was watching TV, there was a strange sound coming out from the bathroom. At first, I thought it was a cat meowing. Not until I heard a series of faint knocking sounds did I dash to the door. When I opened it, I saw my mother sitting on the floor calling for help. My heart almost jumped out of my mouth. She looked pained and scared, her face as pale as a blank sheet, her hands holding onto her stomach. I swiftly held her up to her bed and called my aunt, who is a nurse, for help. My mom kept crying and asked my aunt a lot of questions. Her voice trembled with anxiety. It was then that I understood that she was really looking forward to the birth of my sister and that she was so afraid of losing her. More importantly, I knew whatever happened, I couldn’t live without my mom. Ever since then, I had made up my mind to take good care of my mom and the baby.  



On the day my sister was born, her angel-like smile instantly softened my stone heart. I wish I could give her everything I had to keep her smile every day. A year later, God sent me another gift—my little brother was born. Now, I feel that I’m the happiest person in the world. My younger siblings liven up the dining table and the household. Because of them, my happiness has tripled.

Now at 16, I understand that happiness is always beside me, as long as I gladly accept what life offers. Thanks to God, I get the most valuable and the best gifts in the world. Who can be a luckier 16-year-old girl than me?


No comments:

Post a Comment